Wednesday, October 11, 2006

This island is big enough for every castaway...

...but most of us are looking 'round for someone else to blame...

I have a love/hate relationship with my iPod. I love it; it, apparently, loathes me with the fury of a thousand suns.

How else to explain its recent bizarre behavior? Ah, the dreaded 'sad iPod' icon! Apple says the cause is usually a harddrive error, the only cure for which is to send the malfunctioning iPodlet back to them. On rare instances, its a software problem, which can be fixed by putting the iPodling into disk mode, and then restoring your software. If it can't go into Disk mode, it's a harddrive problem - see case A.

So, what do you do when you can put it - with much effort - into Disk mode, but the fractious little thing won't fucking stay there?

In lighter news, I actually managed to get another thousand or so words done on Yon Lonesome Road - hurray! And there's some news that I may have an actual factual ship assignment before the end of the week. Of course, this means I'll be flying out - but, the good news is, if I'm not home I might actually a) earn some money, and b) save some money - meaning I can send in the iPodPerson for repairs. Which makes the J oh so very much happier.

On the other hand, both potential ships are overseas, not to return to the World until the middle of next month at the earliest - meaning, I may not have internet access (because some ships have it, and some ships don't) for much of NaNoWriMo, and that I'll be flying, again, this time without my music to keep me from freaking out on the TransAtlantic flight. Or during the incredibly long layovers in various airports. Or laying in my bunk listening to my crazy redneck roommate snore. And so on. And so forth.

And this month had so much promise.

No comments: